Sunday, March 15, 2009

Humility..........

This morning, my Pastor's sermon came from John 13:1-10. These verses describe Jesus, as He washed His disciples feet. Now, think about it, this was a nasty job, one reserved only for a servant and certainly not one anybody else was jumping at the opportunity to do. However, Jesus humbled himself and performed this lowly act.

Humility is defined as: to be or act humble.

Humble is defined as: 1: not proud or haughty : not arrogant or assertive.

Why did He do it? Plain and simple. He loved them. Enough to humble Himself and wash their nasty, stinking feet. Even though, He knew one of them was going to deny Him, and one of them was going to betray Him, He loved them anyway. Exactly the same way He does me! He knows all my faults and failures and believe me, they are numerous, yet He humbled Himself to die the worst death possible, on a cross, all because He loves me.

He knows all the times I have been disobedient to His voice, as He told me what to do. He knows all the times I have been self-reliant, instead of depending on Him. He knows all the times I have allowed pride, arrogance, and fear stand in the way of His plan. He knows when I have been ungrateful for what I have and wanted more. He has witnessed my selfishness, my laziness, and my complacency, first hand. He saw the bitterness in my heart after it was broken by someone I trusted. He listened to all of my excuses, as I tried to justify my behavior.

You see, this list could go on and on, yet, in spite of it all, He loves me, anyway. In fact, He is hopelessly in love with me. I must confess, I really like the sound of that! The Creator of the Universe, The Healer, The Deliverer, The Master of the Wind, The Comforter, The Good Shepherd, The Humble Servant, The Messiah, The King of Kings is hopelessly in love with me!

Know what? He is hopelessly in love with you, too.

My prayer is to become more like Him.


He guides the humble in what is right and teaches them His way. Psalms 25:9

=],

Gracie

2 comments:

  1. I missed yesterday your synopsis was so good I want need to go and listen to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He went way into the other direction of Loving those that hurt you like Jesus, but I wasn't ready to tackle that just yet, lol. I'd rather think of Him loving ME. =)

    ReplyDelete