Friday, January 25, 2013

We Have a Bed.....


Almost as soon as I hit "Post" yesterday
afternoon, we received the news UAB had a bed
available, we just had to wait on it to get cleaned and ready.
 
We finally transferred around 8 last night.
 
 


 
His Nurse at UAB met us at the door and within an hour of our
arrival, we saw a Pharmacist, the Doctor, and had blood drawn.
 
We have absolutely NO complaints
about the other Birmingham Hospital he
transferred from and I should have made that clear.
 
The Doctor at our 1st hospital wanted him
transferred to UAB for more intensive treatment.
 
He said if it was his "big brother" he would want him at UAB.
 
We appreciated his honesty.
 
My Daddy is really sick and for his best
chance of survival we need aggressive chemotherapy.
 
We will get that at UAB.
 
A normal WBC is 5-10, which is 5,000-10,000.
 
When my Daddy first went to the Doctor on 
Sunday, thinking he had the flu, his WBC ws 1.1 (1100).
 
Monday it was 0.9 (900) and Wednesday it was 0.5 (500).
 
We were told, without chemo,
his life expectancy is a month.
 
Chemo is his only chance for survival.
 
It's all we have.
 
 I'm not going to lie, chemo, for him, scares me to death.
 
He is already so sick, I can't imagine
him being sicker from chemo and living.
 
When it comes to family, I sometimes
wish I wasn't a Nurse and was oblivious to it all.
 
You never know why things happen the way they do, though.
 
As I said in a previous post, everything happens for a reason.
 
Nothing is by chance.
 
My Stepmother, Sisters and I know this
and cling to this with every fiber of our being.
 
We don't have any idea where this journey is about to take us.
 
Already, it has brought us to an Oncology Unit at UAB,
 which is something we never thought we would experience.
 
I know it will be hard, and difficult, but I
also know good things will come from this.
 
They already have.
 
Today, he will have a day filled with tests.
 
He will also have a central line placed.
 
Please keep us in your prayers.
 
We need them.
 
Love you MUCH!
 
=],


No comments:

Post a Comment